Imaging/Radiology Banner

RadiologistRADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGIST:  Radiologic technologists operate machinery that emits invisible radiation, which creates images of bones, muscles, and other tissues.  Sometimes called x-ray techs, professionals in the field often specialize in performing one type of testing, such as magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography, or mammography.    

Have you considered?

DIAGNOSTIC MEDICAL SONOGRAPHER:  Often referred to as ultrasound technologists, diagnostic medical sonographers perform tests using a transducer device, which is a hand-held device that emits sound waves. Technologists capture images in a still photograph and/or through recording live video.  Sonographers may specialize in a specific field type of imaging like obstetrical and gynecological ultrasounds or neurosonography (images of the brain and spinal cord).  

NUCLEAR MEDICINE TECHNOLOGISTS:  Nuclear medicine technologists administer injections or oral or inhaled doses of drugs called radiopharmaceuticals into patients and then use equipment that emits gamma rays to create images.  Rather than photographing the structure of internal organs, these tests create pictures of chemical processes occurring in organs like the heart or brain.   

Career Potential Banner

To work in this field, a certificate, associate degree or bachelor’s degree is necessary with educational programs typically requiring 21 months to four years of study to complete.  Because radiologic technologists use radiation as part of their daily jobs, the federal government mandates that states license or certify all techs.

Most sonographers earn either a two-year associate degree or a four-year bachelor’s degree in the field though a small number of educational programs last only one year and result in a certificate.  Licensing is not required in any state to work in the field. 

Those with no previous medical training typically complete two-year associate or four-year bachelor’s degrees in the field.  Some states require licensing for nuclear medicine technologists.  The criteria for these licenses differ from each state, but usually involve the successful completion of a written examination.  The State of Utah required either a certificate in Nuclear Medicine or a BS in Health Education and Promotion with an emphasis on Nuclear Medicine Technology.

Utah Earning Potential Averages For Radiologic Technologists: (Jobs.Utah.Gov

Annual Total Openings:


Annual Growth Rate:


Median Annual Wage:


Inexperienced Annual Wage:



Post Secondary Certification, 2 yrs         

Utah Earning Potential Averages For Nuclear Medicine Techs: (Jobs.Utah.Gov

Annual Total Openings:


Annual Growth Rate:


Median Annual Wage:


Inexperienced Annual Wage:



Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree